Author Topic: A few vehicles by Xoel  (Read 295 times)

Xoel

A few vehicles by Xoel
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:15:11 PM »
Hello all,

I've finally scanned and uploaded all of my vehicle concepts as promised.

The "Hoover", a steam powered hovercraft, hovers in low gravity environments on steam jets. It has two wing engines, both steam powered, which propels the craft and steered. Until recently it was designed to safely move around exploring asteroids, and wasn't very fast.

Then a war broke out.

The most recent model added a rear rudder and extra propeller to help the craft move faster and more accurately, and also a heavy shell, rendering the Hoover useless in normal gravity environment, but making it perfect for helping defend asteroid colonies from competing empires and factions. Two small frontal cannons were added, allowing the Hoover to chase down and shoot opponents, or fight face to face with opponents, the frontal armour protecting the vehicle while the cannons took care of the enemy.

[This craft is more than likely American, with it's reference to the Civil War in it's shell.]

Next, we have the "Ironclad" ship. Not much in the way of ideas, though again, it is probably American.

Here's a design for an Asteroid Rover. It could be from any empire.

Also a rough idea for a Space "motorbike" a small starfighter, that also has propellers to enter atmosphere, and rockets for in space.

Then we have a random chopper style vehicle, probably also suited to low-grav environments. Who knows. It could also feature on Venus.

katu

Re: A few vehicles by Xoel
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:43:24 AM »
I really like these hovers. The details are nice and overall concepts are good. Would be nice to both implement the non war hoover and the war hoover.. Maybe also with slight style changes. The rover is very cool, I like how it seems almost like it is "clumsy" but still a powerful vehicle. Details are good too, specially the camera.
The space motor bike looks a bit too modern for me.

Great work xoel! I'm looking forward seeing this in game.

Xoel

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:49:28 AM »
The bike still needs a fair bit more work.

And the hoover can be implemented with old and new models. at the moment the model I have started in Blender has several Objects, so making another model would simply be removing the shell and cannon objects and replacing them with another front end.

XilliX

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »
I like the rover a lot for sure.

The colorized version of the hoover is also nice.

Keep em coming!

Offline Zweitholou

• Tempest Team Member
  • Tink
  • Steam: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »
I like the Hoover.  Sturdy but streamlined just enough.

I can't tell if the "Ironclad"  is a ground ship or aethership.  I think it would make more sense as a ground ship due to it's shape (edges sloping towards the ground, belly uncovered, large wheels, horizontal gun slits), but then that may be your intent.

Concerning the asteroid rover, why does it have a sharp, forward pointing plow?  If it's on cratered, rocky asteroids, the plow would catch on the ground and slow it down.  I like the open feel of the operating area.  Also, what are the wheels made of?  Would it help to have ridged treads for dusty ground with less friction?

I like the feel of the space "motorbike," but I agree with katu that it's a bit too modern atm.  But you are working on that. :)

I'm a little confused by the wing-like structure on the front of the last concept.  The overall concept has a nice feel to it though.

\o/ productivity

Offline Xoel

• Captain
  • Steam: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »
The Ironclad is intended as an Aethership, and the underbelly would be armoured, except on larger motherships which would have starfighter hangars down there.

The sharp forward plow thing is for clearing paths etc.... remember this is just a concept, such a thing could be removed. The treads were done the way they are because I was too lazy to make anything more complex (on Blender it'd be easier to make the diagonal pointed treads, on the other hand :P )

Haven't actually done much on the space motorbike, it sorta lost its appeal to me.

The wing structure has no purpose. This is steampunk, sometimes fancy things are added just to make things look fancy. And I wanted to practice drawing those wing structures XD